• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

The new guys fanfic idea...

Started by MANIA, Mar 08, 2007, 11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MANIA

Greetings one and all... I am a totally new to this website and Inherit the Earth in general. I stumbled upon it while browsing through Wikipedia and have read the comic and all the other info I could gather off this website. Please note, I have not played the game as I do not have the money for it. Anyways, your probably wondering what this fic idea is? Well...

The story's prologue begins several thousand years before Inherit the Earth. It specifically takes place in the year 2018, just a few months after the first morphs were created by the humans. During that time, there is an ongoing civil war in the Central Asian country of Kazakhstan, a former Soviet Republic. Inside Kazakhstan, there is a space rocket launch complex known as the Baikonur Cosmodrome. One day, a mysterious group seizes control of the complex and uses it to launch a single ballistic missile in the direction of the Peoples Republic of China. The Chinese go nuts and almost retaliate, but quickly calm down when the missile seems to break up harmlessely as it re-enters the atmosphere. The incident never gains wide publicity as the mysterious group responsible dissappears almost as quickly as they appeared, the whole thing faded quickly from the public mind.

Several months later a massive airborne biological virus infects nearly every human on the planet. Within a few years, the Human Race appears to go extinct.

Fast forward several thousand years to a few months after the event of Inherit the Earth. Rif and Rhene are down by the beach when they find an odd boat. It is the color orange, circle shaped, and made oif some sort of stretchy material. It isnt the boat that is the most shocking thing though... as inside they find something they never thought they would see in their lives: a unconcious human!

And thus the mystery goes on... are the humans finally returning? Are the legends coming true? But it soon becomes quickly apparent to the morph, that the future is not going to exactly be kind to them.

Anyways, I have a two problems to overcome:

1. The only information I have on the morphs comes from wikipedia and the comic. This may or may not be enough, so any help with info would be very appreciated.

2. The story may walk a fine line between whats acceptable and whats not on this forum. I know I will be able to avoid any sexual activity and cursing and stuff like that, but the way I intend for things to play out, violence is unavoidable. The question is, whether it will be TOO violent. Therefore, I am going to request that someone who knows where the line is reviews each chapter I write in order to make sure that the story remains acceptable within this boards guidelines.

cairn destop

I'll not be speaking for this site, but on other sites where fan fiction is written, the general rule regarding violence is: how appropriate.  If the violence is used to either move a story along, or to develope a character, no problem.  If the violence is done for the "shock value," or it is described as graphically as possible, then reconsider.

For example, on another site I had a major battle fought.  No way to avoid the wanton killing and blood lust of the characters.  However, the descriptions were just enough to keep your imagination running and it gave you sufficient details without each battle scene trying to outgross the next.

Based on your inquiry, I have a feeling you would stay within the acceptable bounds, but I would let the site administrators answer this.  I too would find this of interest since any fan fiction based on this era would have a propensity to some violence.
Once again my avatar is working.  Does Snoopy happydance. 

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

MANIA

Thanks for the encouragement. I would still rather have someone who is familiar with the rules tell me whether my work is acceptable or not... ah well, I guess Ill get to work on the prologue.

Amaroq Wolf

Personally, I think you should go ahead with your idea whether or not you think it breaks any rules of this forum. If you suspect that the content is too adult, then simply add the words "adult content" to the topic title, and to the post itself so that nobody will download your story unaware of the content.

WyrmMaster

Please read this topic before posting any fan fiction: http://www.wyrmkeep.com/forums/index.php?topic=190.0

- The Management

Amaroq Wolf

Oops, my bad!

I'm glad that got cleared up. I'd hate to be at fault for telling someone they can post something that they can't.

Lymril

"Quest for the Orb" isn't entirely without sex and violence but it is extremely limited.  There is a short animated segment where Sgt. Okk gets into a fist-fight with a wolf and knocks him down a manhole (the wolf wasn't hurt), but that's as rough as it gets.  Sexually, there is a cat fortune-teller who invites Riff to spend the night with her, a couple of nude cat statues (seated and seen only from the rear) at the temple of the Orb of Storms, and a short segment where Sheala is bathing with her top off (back turned).  Aside from these mild forays, the game is almost exclusively exploration and puzzle-solving.  I wish more companies would make games like this.
Some like it FURRY!
Visit #SoftPaws on FurNet IRC
General chat and light role play.
Channel Rating: MW (Mostly Worksafe)
www.furnet.org

Lirren Shentai

Quote from: Lymril on Mar 31, 2007, 09:48 PM
"Quest for the Orb" isn't entirely without sex and violence but it is extremely limited.  There is a short animated segment where Sgt. Okk gets into a fist-fight with a wolf and knocks him down a manhole (the wolf wasn't hurt), but that's as rough as it gets.  Sexually, there is a cat fortune-teller who invites Riff to spend the night with her, a couple of nude cat statues (seated and seen only from the rear) at the temple of the Orb of Storms, and a short segment where Sheala is bathing with her top off (back turned).  Aside from these mild forays, the game is almost exclusively exploration and puzzle-solving.  I wish more companies would make games like this.
Well, in the interview with a member of the Dreamer's Guild's staff..(Which I believe is here on the site) she said that the game was going to appeal to a slightly older audience...(Think T, not M or AO) Anyway, their main financial backers saw the animals and automatically equated it with children, and forced the Dreamer's Guild to tone everything down at every turn. And then, later down the road, the entire company I think folded. All I know is that ITE was planned to be a trilogy, but only one game was released.

Oxanna

"The only information I have on the morphs comes from wikipedia and the comic. This may or may not be enough, so any help with info would be very appreciated."

Well, the best way to get info is to either play the game or ask someone you know who played it to give you a detailed description (wouldn't mind having a go at it myself, let me know at oxanna.wolf@gmail.com if you don't have the information you need by now.)

Further, there's nothing un-family friendly in Quest for the Orb at all. I don't think the fortune teller was trying to do anything except wangle money out of Rif (wouldn't have worked anyhow) as the Faire was closed and it probably meant no more business for her for a while. Also, the only thing I think could be scary is the freaky music and stuff at the Camp of the Hunters of the Dark Claw and the dinosaur-alligator crossover in Prince's Amusement Maze. There's nothing else - oh, yeah, two certain rooms in the Dog Castle maze really make you jump at first hearing, but that's just cause you're really scared of getting caught.

Look forward to your story - any kind of fan fiction's just great to me, since I wrote some the other day - Theory for Sandy's Story or something like that - I think you can guess what its about - and I'd like to see anybody else's ideas.

WolfieInu

Well, you saw MY fan fiction and you said it was weird and gave me that strange wide-eyed concerned-sisterly look...
Shiba Inu: Today the local ecosystem, tomorrow the world!